[thechat] Log File Question

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Tue Apr 8 17:43:09 CDT 2003

Ron wrote:
> I'm looking through some of my log files this afternoon and I'm seeing a
> lot of records with a referrer that looks something like:
>
> ASPSESSIONIDCQABTSDT=PELPCAEAGAADAMBNGPBBGKH

Are you sure you're looking in the referrer field (well... technically it's
the referer-with-one-r field, which is an embarrassment to web geeks
everywhere)?

It looks more like the cookie field... ASPSESSIONID<somecrap> is the cookie
that IIS sets to keep track of the user's session. The random crap in the
cookie name (rather than just the value) is there to make sessions
harder to spoof.

Paul.