[thechat] Back to dark ages

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Thu Apr 24 07:18:51 CDT 2003

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1030422/asp/frontpage/story_1897241.asp

Just when you hear about India's progress in the IT field blah blah blah,
along comes this:

<quote>

India might change its criminal law principle that an accused is "presumed
to be innocent" until proven guilty — carried over from the Anglo-Saxon
legal system imposed during colonial rule — if the recommendations of the
Justice V.C. Malimath Committee appointed to review criminal laws are
accepted.

This would mean that the burden of proving innocence would lie with the
accused rather than the prosecution having to prove the person's guilt
"beyond reasonable doubts".

The Malimath Committee report, which has suggested sweeping changes to the
country's criminal laws, was submitted today to the Union home ministry.

</quote>

We're not progressing as a country, we're regressing! How shameful is this?

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
Internet User Experience Consultant
e-mail: webguru at vsnl.net   |   Yahoo messenger: cold_logic

Content * Interfaces * Usability * Net Strategy