[thechat] Back to dark ages

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Mon Apr 28 10:58:46 CDT 2003

Bob Haroche asked:

>>Isn't the French criminal justice system set up the same way --
>>Presumed guilty? Or is that an erroneous tidbit I learned years ago?

Maybe you've been reading Albert Camus' - 'The Stranger' lately??

{An intriguing book where the *cough*hero*cough* is imprisoned not so
much for murdering the arab as for failing to mourn his mother's death.}

RonL.
(Who notes that inferring French law from reading Camus is a bit like
inferring Germanic law from reading Kafka! [Although Camus actually
*finished* writing some of his books! <sorry - there are few things
more irritating than getting 1/2 way through a bound volume of Kafka
only to find a page that says "that's where he stopped writing - by the
way - here's an alternative writing of chapter 9, which may actually
have been meant to be chapter 6 - we're not quite sure - so here's
the entire book again in a different order" Rrrrrrr!>])