[thechat] Saddam and Gomorrah?

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Apr 29 14:23:38 CDT 2003

I'm just a stupid American.

It is not clear to me how Saddam's government operated, and how many
thousands were tortured and killed under him.  Who did he torture and
kill?  How?  I mean, are we talking about Nazi-style gestapo, are we
talking about Stalinist-style purges, are we talking about
Soviet-style gulags, are we talking about concentration camps for
political prisoners, are we talking about Central American-style
death squads, are we talking about Pol Pot-style killing fields...
what, exactly are we talking about?

Facts, dates, from someone who knows?  I'm just curious.  I usually
only hear this discussed in very general and vague terms, and then I
hear about a chemical attack against the Kurds and one (?) against
Iranians... but more facts and details would be so educational for me.

Apologies for my ignorance.

Erika