[thechat] Saddam and Gomorrah?

Bob Haroche spambait at onpointsolutions.com
Tue Apr 29 15:13:17 CDT 2003

Erika Meyer wrote:
> I'm just a stupid American.
>
> It is not clear to me how Saddam's government operated, and how many
> thousands were tortured and killed under him.  Who did he torture
> and
> kill?

Hi Erika,

As you may know from my earlier posts, I'm also a stupid American, and
one who opposed the war. That notwithstanding, I think a good argument
could be made that Saddam's regime was one of the more brutal ones on
the planet. There were and are others, but I think many foreign policy
"experts", regardless of their nationality and political orientation,
agree on that point.

Here's a starting point for you:

http://web.amnesty.org/library/eng-irq/reports

You might also search the New York Times website (free registration).
May not be the God's honest truth on the matter, but it has a wealth
of information on the mideast and the world. And, for the record, the
Times also opposed the war.

You might also find it interesting to check out the video "Uncle
Saddam", which I recently watched. It doesn't purport to be a full
examination of the brutality and repression of the regime, but more of
the bizarre and violent nature of Saddam and his family. A really
fascinating, up close look at the man.

http://tinyurl.com/all8 (Amazon reviews)

Regards,
Bob Haroche