[thechat] perchlorate in CA lettuce

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Wed Apr 30 14:58:58 CDT 2003

http://tinyurl.com/aojq

Having worked  few years doing research for an anti-toxic non-profit,
my reading between the lines in this USA Today article tells me that
perchlorate is NASTY and it is very likely that "no safe level" has
been set, because hello!

it ISN'T SAFE!!!

mmm... think about it next time you much a big head of crunchy
mouthwatering lettuce... (I can't believe USA today had the balls to
publish this...)

anyways, this is just a sample of the  Bush administration is busy
with behind the scenes while we're all distracted by other things.

It's war, dammit.  With a million ways to maim, why  pick just one?

"Perchlorate pollution is highly politicized because almost all
production can be either directly or indirectly traced back to the
military. The Pentagon has argued that perchlorate is safe in
drinking water at levels much higher than the EPA has set.

The Bush administration has backed a bill before Congress that would
exempt the Pentagon and defense contractors from environmental
regulations requiring the cleanup of toxic waste, saying that
compliance would hinder military readiness. Hearings are to begin
next week."