[thechat] Christina a hit with Brits

Sabrina Dent, Apperception sabrina.dent at appercept.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 19:20:56 CDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erika Meyer"
> I do not think Maxim readers in general are looking at women and
> thinking, "yes, I'd like a long term fully committed relationship
> with this woman."  They are thinking "I wanna bang her... and her...
> and her.. and her..."

<snip>

> Maxim readers may mostly be young, but Maxim can be read by older men
> who dream of having a young, hot, undemanding nymphette... but who in
> real life have a snowball's chance in hell of scoring with one.

For absolutely no reason at all, I feel compelled to point out that *I* am a
Maxim reader. I buy Maxim in preference to "women's magazines" because:

a) the articles are more interesting
b) a lesser proportion of the advertising is offensive
c) they're way more upfront and less insidious about their presentation of
women

Further to point c, with men's mags like Maxim, you get "OK, none of use
will ever really have her, but daaaaaamn is she hot" whilst with women's
mags the same women is presented in much more in the "if you really just
tired hard enough, you could be like her." CF, "Get the Look," "Cosmetics of
the Celebrities," "Three Hundred Stars Who Shed 1200 Stone in 2 Hours" and
all that shite.

Exceptions to the "Women's Magazines Suck" rules are few and far between and
tend to be for "older" women vis. Jane.

--Sabrina