[thechat] Fish do feel pain

Mike Migurski mike at saturn5.com
Thu May 1 14:31:25 CDT 2003

>Yeah a level of objectivity is possible, but it is never absolute.
>
>When you remove the spiritual from everything, what do you replace it
>with?  The myth of objectivity.

It's not a myth - some things can be proven within certain criteria,
others can't. Which is not to say that I don't feel that sprituality and
respect for the subjective don't have place in these discussions, but my
original complaint had more to do with the bad logic of the BBC article:
physical response != 'feel' pain.

The question of whether it was a /stupid/ experiment to begin with (WTF
did they expect to prove?) will be left as an exercise to the reader. :P

>Maybe we should argue about when a fetus become a human, maybe we should
>argue about where life begins and ends... why doesn't science tell us the
>ANSWER??  WHY WHY WHY????

I don't think those are the kinds of questions that one should ask of
science.