[thechat] Fish do feel pain

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue May 6 13:16:49 CDT 2003

RonL wrote:
>I'll also note a distinction between physical pain and emotional pain ...
>but also suggest that long term behavioral studies of some animals,
>notably chimps, might suggest that they experience emotional distress.
>I'm not aware of any similar studies for fish.

well... I had two Sawagani crabs which my daughter obtained from a sushi bar.

A male and female.  They partied a bit, did something that looked
like sex.. well one of them I think the female got some kind of an
infection after a molt and died.  The male now just hides a lot more
and doesn't move as much.  I feel sorry for him.

But for mammals, c'mon... mammals are very affectionate cuddly
creatures.  Of course they would mourn the loss of a companion.  As
with humans, sometimes when one (pet cat or dog) dies the companion
dies soon after.