[thechat] Flamewars [WAS: Linux and Middle Earth]

Chris Marsh chris at ecleanuk.com
Wed May 7 09:20:13 CDT 2003

> Madhu Menon wrote:
> > At 02:03 AM 07-05-03, Erika Meyer wrote:
> > > So Madhu, are you saying that OS debates are on-topic for thelist?
> >
> > No, I said the post was off-topic for this list. You inferred
> > something else. :)
> >
> > OS debates may be on-topic for thelist, however, in certain
> > circumstances. Flame wars are what's unacceptable.
>
> I like a good scrap once in a while - it's even more fun to
> laugh at GNU/Hurd users :)

There's nothing wrong with a good flame war. Having said that, back in
"the day" a flame was a carefully crafted annihilation of the subject
rather than a mere brain fart including profanity. It involved being
*clever* rather than simply rude. Also, "war" implies a dialogue rather
than a single attack. That would be a flame "police action" or somesuch.
It's no fun picking on the small kids either. Who (of any interested
spectators) wants to see a 3 second knock out in the first round? No no
no. 15 rounds of gruelling action with a clear winner is what the masses
want.

Purely out of interest, what's wrong with GNU Hurd?

Regards

Chris Marsh