[thechat] Fish do feel pain

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Wed May 7 16:18:51 CDT 2003

Andy Warwick wrote:

>>Put simply. I believe fish feel pain. I believe fish have
>>'non-material' >>'souls'. I eat fish and feel no guilt about it.

I'm usually too busy worrying about mecury, pcb, dioxin,
radioactivity etc in my fish to worry about the manner of death...

actually I look at it this way... SMART humans would actually protect
an important food source (note the important qualifying adjective:
"smart").

an individual death is not the worst thing in the world.  what is
really destructive is the destruction of a species or habitat.

the biggest advocates for salmon are those people who subsist off of
salmon... (indigenous people along a particular river).  the second
biggest advocates are those who sport and/or commercial fish or make
money from the same.  everyone else -- Sierra Club, etc... basically
falls in after that.

I like fish, I like meat.  I want my fish to be clean, healthy and
happy.  -- before I kill and eat them.  And then you gotta say thanks
to the spirit of the fish of course.... and then you take care of the
fish habitat and keep the balance.

So... who here has read "Trout Fishing In America" (Richard Brautigan)?

Erika