[thechat] NEVs: Cutting car usage in WA

Martin martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon May 19 02:34:44 CDT 2003

Washington State has just passed legislation enabling Neighbourhood
Electric Vehicles to be used on the roads:
http://www.cityofseattle.net/cleancities/2003%20NEV%20Legislation.htm

Won't keep you as fit as your pushbike, but greener than your average gas
guzzler.

In other news, I noticed at the weekend that Toyota are selling a hybrid
petrol/electric car:
http://www.priusenvy.com/
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/hybrid-car9.htm
that runs on batteries at low speed, which it charges when it's on petrol
mode at higher speeds.

It's the only car I've seen which has a *lower* fuel consumption on the
Urban cycle than out of town or combined

</madhu>

Cheers
Martin