[thechat] Last Math exam

Syed Zeeshan Haider szh at softhome.net
Wed Jun 4 14:00:29 CDT 2003

From: "Luther, Ron"

> *Sometimes* you can get full or partial credit for _creative_ answers in math.
>
> I've done well, (when bored), writing math proofs (a) as a play involving a
> lot of character dialog, (b) as a 'Perry Mason' style court case  "Isn't it
> TRUE Mr. Burger ..." ;-) , and (c) as an extremist political diatribe.
>
> [I tried to answer one as a rebus once ... but that was taking too much
> time to finish.]
>
> I remember hearing a rumor once that a participant in the world's toughest
> annual math test, <genuflect>THE Putnam</genuflect>, once answered a request
> to 'prove x' with something along the lines of "Assume the entire body of
> known mathematics ... the result follows from inspection." -- and that the
> judges considered awarding partial credit for creativity. I doubt that
> they actually awarded any - it's an *extremely* tough test and partial
> credit is VERY hard to come by, but they may well have considered it since
> they have a reputation for rewarding creativity.

Seems VERY interesting. Never heard of it before. Any links to share? Or
keywords that could be used on Google?
(I had very tough time on Google some days ago while searching some information
about a topic of Biology and the end result was failure to search.)

Thanks,
--
Syed Zeeshan Haider.
http://syedzeeshanhaider.faithweb.com/