[thechat] Why?

Ashok Hariharan listman at hazard0us.org
Thu Jun 5 09:18:37 CDT 2003

On 05-06-2003 04:43:47 PM Martin wrote:

>*major* cause of hatred of the West is the hypocritical 'right thing'
>preaching that goes along with it. This is the 'all nations should have
>democracy, but only if it's after our model, and elects the leader we
>approve of' attitude.

A recent case in  point is zimbabwe...
If I watched only the western media coverage on zimbabwe:
 = Sky news, ( for the last year and a half has potrayed mugabe
as Hitler's next of kin...)
 = BBC (more of the same, but slightly more toned down...)
 = African channels (..tread the middle ground/
                        support mugabe..)

On the other hand, mugabe has gained a vast amount of
sympathy among the african public in general.
Though the african media is kind of a 60:40 split between
pro:anti mugabeites...

In this particular case, both parties (pro and anti mugabe) have
relevant greviances about the "right thing"... unfortunately  6
months/1 year down the line or whenever mugabe falls, a lot of
what happens in zimbabwe  will be guided by the western
faction's (the largely anti-mugabe one) "right thing to do".

I guess then this whole "right thing" = more $$$ will definitely
be put in clearer perspective....

--ashok