[thechat] More silly lawsuits

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Sat Jun 7 14:12:57 CDT 2003

http://www.fremontneb.com/articles/2003/06/03/news/news4.txt

 From the "I love lawyers" department:

<quote>

The parents of a 19-year-old woman who was murdered while trying to change
a flat tire want Ford Motor Co. and Bridgestone/Firestone Inc. held liable
in the death.

The Nebraska Supreme Court was to hear the case today stemming from the
2000 murder of Amy Stahlecker, a Wayne State College freshman who became
stranded on U.S. Highway 275 west of Omaha because of a blown tire.

Prosecutors said Richard Cook, 36, of Omaha, picked up Stahlecker and later
shot her. Cook was convicted of first-degree murder, and is serving a life
sentence.

Susan and Dale Stahlecker claim in the lawsuit that a Firestone Wilderness
AT tire failed on the 1997 Ford Explorer driven by their daughter, setting
off the events ended in her murder.

The lawsuit claimed that Firestone was negligent in making the defective
tire and that Ford was negligent in putting it on one of its vehicles.

</quote>

At least the District judge threw it out.

Madhu
(I'm sure someone will ask me why I was reading Fremont news. ;)