[thechat] Mangoes

Roger Austin raustin3 at nc.rr.com
Sun Jun 15 12:30:51 CDT 2003

Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:
> Hello Everybody,
> I have a mango tree in my lawn. But it is not producing fruit. Its tiny flowers
> (which we call "boor" in our language) don't turn into mangoes and wither into
> black sponge like substance. I have consulted an expert of mango trees. He say
> that the plant needs some treatment. It will begin in August and continue till
> the next mango season. I think this treatment will succeed.
> I have heard that in North America (USA and Canada) mangoes are not as common as
> in Asia. Is it true? Do you enjoy the companionship of the trees of King of
> Fruits?

  Mangoes can't grow in areas that get below freezing. This eliminates
most of the U.S.A. and especially my area of North Carolina. I think
there are people who try to grow them in containers and in greenhouses,
but I haven't been aware of them producing any fruit.
  Try http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/mango.html for a good review of mango
tree culture.