[thechat] Life Is Confusing For Two-Headed Snakes

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Tue Jun 17 07:16:23 CDT 2003

Madhu Menon sent in a neat link:

>>>http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/03/0322_020322_kidsnake.html

Hi Madhu,

Neat link!  But a little confusing since the picture showed a two-headed corn
snake ... aka red rat snake ... aka chicken snake ... aka Elaphe Guttata Guttata
IIRC.  The article was about a "ladder" snake.

I don't remember ever hearing about a "ladder" snake - so I had to find a pic.
Here is the snake the article was about:

(Teeny little bugger!)

RonL.
(Looks like the 'ladder' snake used to be classified as 'Elaphe scalaris'
... ["Elaphe" being the most common general species name for rat snakes --
very very common snakes throughout the world.] ... It looks like the 'ladder'
snake is now classified as Rhinechis scalaris. Apparently it's the only {or
one of very few} 'true' European ratsnakes ... very very rare in the US.)