[thechat] Mangoes

Syed Zeeshan Haider szh at softhome.net
Wed Jun 18 04:51:04 CDT 2003

From: "Drew Shiel"

> At 13:52 18/06/2003 +0500, Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:
> >From: "Thorne, Brenton"
> >
> > > Here in Queensland, Australia, the mangoes are large, juicy, and in
> > abundance!
> >I can't imagine
> > > life without them...
> >
> >Same here!
>
>    And in contrast, I'm not certain I've ever seen a mango.
>
>    Drew.

You must try mangoes once. I am sure you will be feeling same as me and Brenton.
In Pakistan, we consider mangoes the King of Fruits.
I remember a couple of true jokes about mangoes.

Ghalib was a great Urdu poet of 19th century. He loved to eat mangoes. A friend
of him did not like them. Once these two friends were talking in room beside an
open window. There were some peels of mangoes in the street outside the window.
The both friends saw a donkey in the street. He came, smelled the peels of
mangoes, left them uneaten and went away.
The friend of Ghalib said, "You see, even donkeys don't eat mangoes".
"No doubt, donkeys don't eat mangoes" Ghalib replied.

Tell me if you can't get the humour out of it.

The national poet of Pakistan, Allama Muhammad Iqbal also loved to eat mangoes
very much. Some years before his death, he got diabetes. Mangoes are strictly
prohibited for diabetics. Iqbal asked the doctor for the permission to eat
mangoes as he thought he could not live without them. Doctor allowed only one
mango in a day.
One day the doctor came for Iqbal's checkup. He saw he had a mango of biggest
possible size. It was equal to 3 to 4 normal sized mangoes. The doctor said,
"Sir! What is this".
Iqbal said, "It is only one mango. You have allowed me one in a day."

--
Syed Zeeshan Haider.
http://szh.envy.nu/