[thechat] Re: New House Re: Beervolt Edinburgh Re: Mangoes

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Wed Jun 18 09:14:10 CDT 2003

At 08:39 18/06/2003 -0500, Cheryl Baringer wrote:
>I'm confused about how it's built. Are the external walls JUST brick? In
>this area, a house is built with wood framing, all the walls are framed
>in, the roof goes on, sheathing goes on the outside, THEN the brick goes
>on. From the pictures, it appears that brick has already been applied,
>without framing  the upper floor. So what holds it up?

   Heh. Here, we'd ask the same question about your strange wood frame
houses. Houses in Ireland - and in the British Isles in general, and as far
as I can see, right across southern Europe - are built entirely of
concrete, brick or stone, with the only wood being in the ceiling/floors
and the roof (and in Greece, the whole damn building is usually concrete).

   Most of the building consists of hollow concrete bricks, often built as
two separate walls with a cavity between for extra insulation.

   Drew.

Drew Shiel                               webmaster at swiftpay.com
                                                     +353-1-2365701