[thechat] Thread Hijack: ST Nemesis and Freelancer (was: Kazaa)

Seb Potter seb at poked.org
Wed Jun 18 19:18:10 CDT 2003

> I have just this minute finished watching nemesis, and, you know what....

Woah, replying to my own emails and using it as an excuse to hijack a
thread. I should warn that there is extreme trainspotting and geekiness
ahead...

Right, for those of you who have played Microsoft's space-sim, Freelancer,
and who have also seen Star Trek Nemesis... I happened to notice this only
(I swear!) because I was playing the game just before watching the film...

Right at the beginning of Nemesis, there's a planet fly-past sequence that
takes the camera on a long and lazy sweep past Remus, which is the dusty
brown planet with scintillating lights of cities that gradually reveal
themselves as the camera gets closer to the planet.

Now, in Freelancer, Planet Leeds in the Leeds system is an identically-
coloured planet with an almost identical pattern of cities that gradually
grow and get brighter as you approach. The first time you you go to Planet
Leeds, there is an identical fly-past sequence.

Right, well that's my geekiness over for the evening, and I'd better go get
some sleep.

- seb

--
http://poked.org