[thechat] Kazaa

Terry Fowler quackamoe at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 18 22:05:03 CDT 2003

--- Seb Potter <seb at poked.org> wrote:

> Still, the ratings nose-dive of Enterprise season 2
> kinda shook them up,
> and I think the new direction that "The Expanse" has
> opened up might be
> worth bearing with for another half a season, just
> to find out.

Yeah, especially since we don't have any DS9 reruns
here and no $$ for the DVD just now. I heard a
splendid
rumor before Enterprise started that they'd hired a
writer from the X-Files. Either it was just a rumor or
B&B couldn't handle having real talent around.

> Still, having assiduously avoided all of Vygr, I'm
> really hoping that
> something good happens to Trek, even if it means
> cancellation and a serious directional rethink.

The concept of Enterprise looked like it might be just
what was needed, and I still think it's a great idea,
just. . . .

> Firefly was quite seriously the best sci-fi I've
> ever seen in my entire
> life. More story and character in a single episode
> than Trek could cope
> with in the lifetime of a show. I can't wait for the
> DVD with the full run of episodes,

After two or three episodes Firefly was on my desert
island list. I had the DVDs for all 23 seasons. Then I
woke up.

> and I really hope like hell Whedon
> succeeds in his fervent struggle to keep making the
show.

Is this real??? I haven't even heard one rumor about
this. I do sooo hope he's successful. For those who
haven't seen Firefly, let me just say this:  when
things blow up in outer space on this show, they're
silent. No noise. Ships zooming along through the
void,
silently. Good stuff. Great characters. Great stories.
And plenty of great lines. "Now that there was just
the
kind of diversion we need."

> Anyone see the last series of Buffy and notice the
> actor playing Caleb was
> Mal Reynolds from Firefly? Nice to know that
> Whendon's not afraid to re-use talent when he sees
it.

Yeah, and wasn't he GOOD?! Whedon has a gift for
finding good talent and he's smart enough to keep it
around. Jasmine of the last few ep's of Angel was also
on Firefly.

> ROTK in only 181 days?!? I better go get in line!!!

I'm taking Dec 16 and 17 off. 16th we watch the EV of
FOTR and TTT then head off to the line party for the
midnight showing. Then we had for a matinee on the
17th.

> Hehe, WETA digital took delivery of a new rendering
> farm last week... 588
> dual-cpu 2.8GHz blade servers from IBM... they're
> just gearing up to render ROTK.

588 Blades? Yikes! Hmm, I wonder if they could use a
fledgling ClearCase admin?

and then I woke up. Dang.

Terry