thread hijack: firefly (was: Re: [thechat] Kazaa)

Seb Potter seb at poked.org
Thu Jun 19 19:49:56 CDT 2003

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:48:50 -0700 (PDT), Terry Fowler
<quackamoe at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Seb Potter <seb at poked.org> wrote:
>
>> Firefly was quite seriously the best sci-fi I've
>> ever seen in my entire life. More story and character in a single
>> episode
>> than Trek could cope with in the lifetime of a show. I can't wait for
>> the
>> DVD with the full run of episodes, and I really hope like hell Whedon
>> succeeds in his fervent struggle to keep making the show.
>>
> Seems there were 3 episodes shot that were never
> shown.
> They're available as bit.torrent, um, thingies:
>
> http://forums.prospero.com/foxfirefly/messages/?msg=8556.1

Wonderful, I'm grabbing these as I type.

> I haven't looked into bit.torrent yet, so I have no
> idea what to do with these files yet.

Download bittorrent and install. Then, click on a .torrent link and open
with btdownloadgui.exe which you've just installed. You'll be prompted for
where to save the end result of your download, and then a little download
progress dialogue box will appear. It'll connect to a tracker server, then
start downloading. If the file you're downloading is releatively recent,
expect this to start maxing out your cable modem. :) Once it's downloaded,
it's generally good form to leave the dialogue box open for a few hours so
that others can download from you. I try to leave everything open for a day
after I download it, but I'll leave the firefly eps open for a while
longer.

> I went looking for rumors about further Firefly eps
> but
> all the talk now is about a Firefly MOVIE!! Ooh, this is one rumor I
> really hope is going to prove to be true.

I read a post-"Chosen" interview with Whendon that says he's exploring
other avenues to tell he firefly story, and that it's the story that's
important for him, not necessarily making a TV show out of it.

A movie would be fantastic though. It's not as if the effects in the show
could get any better. (The atmosphere run with the reavers in pursuit was
just astonishing.)

--
http://poked.org