[thechat] Next Anime Step?

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Wed Jul 9 17:10:36 CDT 2003

Erika commented:

>>(it sounds like you are asking for yourself rather than kids?)

Hi Erika,

Either. I have grandkids ... and they are a great excuse to buy stuff *I*
want anyway.  But yeah, some would just be for me.

>>If you have kids, "My Neighbor Totoro" kicks ass, especially if
>>you're into forest spirts that watch over children, stuff like that.

Thanks!  I'll check into it.

>>of those movies you mentioned, which are not appropriate for children?

Princess Mononoke is, IMO, too intense and violent for my 2 year-old
grandsons.  If they were 10 or so I wouldn't be concerned ... but right
now (I think) they are too small for princesses that spit blood and heros
that chop people in two with their sword. [I can be 'funny' that way.]

They *love* Toy Story(s) & Monsters Inc & Shrek ... which I bought for
them _and_ me.  ;-)  I just gave one 'Lilo & Stitch' for his birthday,
but I may have to borrow it since I haven't seen it yet. I'm sure I'll
probably get a 'Finding Nemo' to keep at my house for them as well.

>>If you're inclined toward traditional literature I liked the 80's
>>flick "Tale of Genji" based on the famous thousand year old novel by
>>Lady Murasaki  (often considered to be the first novel ever written).

I haven't heard of that either, I will research it further.

Thanks!

RonL.
(Who will probably pick up Ghost and Akira for himself -- even though
he's still being lured by the 'siren call' of those cheapie multi-disc
sets.)