[thechat] Terminator's ancestral home in reading, UK?

Seb seb at poked.org
Thu Jul 17 05:51:07 CDT 2003

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:55:55 +0100, Tony Crockford <tonyc at boldfish.co.uk>
wrote:

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,999497,00.html
>
> "Meet Morgui, the new robot constructed at the University of Reading,
> which has been deemed so scary it has been banned from interacting with
> anyone aged under 18."

Good grief, our Kev (an ex-tutor of mine) is at it again. I wish the media
wouldn't give his hare-brained projects the attention that they don't
deserve. There are far more deserving projects in the world of robotics and
cybernetics, they just don't happen to have an attention-seeking media
whore like Warwick running them.

The story here isn't the robot's head, it's the uni's ethics department
massively over-reacting to kids seeing a plastic skull. The robot does not
interact with people in any way, it just follows their movements. It's a
plastic skull-shaped video camera on a stick.

- seb

--
http://poked.org