[thechat] Art Trivia Question

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Fri Jul 18 12:45:07 CDT 2003

> C'mon Reg that's not fair man! I love that painting ... but there's
> no directional context.

But:

"I was out walking with two friends - the sun began to set - suddenly
the sky turned blood-red - I paused, feeling exhausted, and leaned on a
fence - there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue-black fjord
and the city - my friends walked on, and there I still stood, trembling
with fear - and I sensed an endless scream passing through nature." -
Here the painter of The Scream, Edvard Munch, provides us with the
insight into the inspiration for one of his most prolific works, in a
poetic and chilling anecdote.

I'd say the red sky *behind* the principal character provides
significant context.