[thechat] [OT] IM Question

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Jul 24 13:40:37 CDT 2003

On Thursday, July 24, 2003, at 04:35  pm, Luther, Ron wrote:

> She's looking to find out if 'Instant Messaging' leaves any kind of
> footprint
> behind - so she can bust the kids if they are IM-ing their buds while
> she is
> at work.
>
> I've never used IM - so I don't have a clue.

Dunno about footprints, but the way I plan to do it when Morgan's older
is to have everything going out through a firewall, and
a) not permit IRC/IM ports to/from his machine
b) kill his access entirely when he's in his room on his own
(mailservers are of course internal).

> {It's an old Win box and <sigh> uses AOL. I'm not sure what IM client -
> probably whatever AOL recommends/comes with.}
AIM, probably. It's the protocol that iChat runs on, so those of us
with the Mac flag set use it.

cheers
Martin