Back to Anime (Was Re: [thechat] [OT] IM Question)

Alan McCoy a.r.mccoy at larc.nasa.gov
Fri Jul 25 08:14:11 CDT 2003

=> Yes, that is indeed anime.  Metropolis was a reinterpretaion
=> of Fritz
=> Lang's Metropolis, created by the late, great Osamu Tezuka himself.
=> It's a recent film, so it's merely an interpretation of his manga,
=> Tezuka himself is, of course, no longer around to witness this film.
=>
=> I felt it looked visually stunning, but lacked something
=> that I could
=> never quite place my finger on...

I know what you mean. For me, the thing that I found somewhat out of
place was the animation style for that film. Don't get me wrong, I love
anime, but I felt that the character style used in Metropolis (the "big
innocent eyes style", for lack of the correct term) was just not right
for that film. It made them all look like little children. Beautiful
animation, but it was like watching a Precious Moments video.

Alan