[thechat] homemade cable tv distribution

Ashok Hariharan listman at hazard0us.org
Mon Aug 4 07:55:34 CDT 2003

Heres the problem:

I have a satellite tv decoder (a standard made in taiwan variety), and
I pay monthly subscriptions for a whole lot of channels (most of them
junk like the "series" channel), this subscription is upwards of $25.

We have no concept of cheap-cable-tv here (in India i remember it was
150 rs/month/around $3 for a lot more channels..).  My chinese
neighbour showed me a small reciever device (looks like a small
pyramid) which when i connect to my decoder, allows my neigbour
in the next apartment to watch my satellite-tv-channel without a
decoder.

unfortunately  it just broadcasts the  current channel that my decoder is
switched to and not any of the 20 channels that my decoder provides.

So I went to the Sat-TV provider and asked him, if there was a way i could
distribute channels from my Sat-TV to other people; of course, he told me
there was no way of doing this short of buying everyone involved an
individual decoder (he made it sound like I was trying to sell drugs or
something)

So I went to a TV shop and asked them, and the fella there told me about
buying a "passive-hub" ...beyond that I couldn't get any information,

Does anybody know what a passive hub for satellite-tv is? Is it very hard
to set up?

--Ashok