[thechat] high fidelity quiz

Terry Fowler quackamoe at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 6 19:04:45 CDT 2003

--- Martin Burns <martin at easyweb.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 09:26  pm, Luther,
> Ron wrote:
>
> > I'm surprised (since I haven't bought vinyl in
> > quite a long time

> I think we'll be keeping the vinyl for hysterical
> reasons.

Back in the vinyl days DGG* had a reputation for high-
quality vinyl combined with technically superior
recordings of the best performers. I've been wondering
how to find the best recordings in the present day.
Mainly for classical music.

A while back I had a US$10 gift certificate at Sam
Goody and eventually managed to find their miniscule
classical music section. Most of the CDs were priced
around US$3.99 for a 5 CD set. Clearly not the best of
all possible recordings.

terry

* Deutsche Gramophon Gesellschaft