[thechat] Exercise Machine

Terry Fowler quackamoe at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 17:11:13 CDT 2003

This is another one of those things that I've
been meaning to ask for so long I wonder if I
already did. Apologies if this is a repeat.

Back in '88 or so I was going to Holiday Spa on
a fairly regular basis. Mostly swimming, but I
would hit some of the machines once in a while.
There was this one that I really felt was giving
me a workout. Seems like it was called an "Alpine
Climber" or "Nordic Climber." After maybe 5
minutes on this puppy I'd be nauseous. That's why
I thought it was actually doing some good. I
haven't seen one in years. That could be because
they were completely useless - except for making
you nauseous. Or it could be that they really
gave you a workout and people don't want to
actually WORK. I dunno. I'd like to have one. So
I googled and searched ebay and haven't found
jack.

It looked like this:

         ___
         | |
         | |
         | |---  hand
         | |---
 hand ---| |
      ---| |
         | |
         | |
         | |
         | |
         | |
         | |
         | |
         | |---- foot
         | |----
         | |
         | |
foot ----| |
     ----| |
         | |
 --------------------
 |                  |
 --------------------

The handles and foot, um, thingies, well, (geeze,
and I'm a technical writer?) you'd get on this
thing with all fours and start climbing. Yeah,
that's it. Climbing. The handles would offer some
resistance as they slid up and down. It would
work the arms, shoulders, legs, back, etc. I
think the prototype for this machine is in the
Tower of London. ;)

So, does this thing ring a bell with any of you?

terry