[thechat] MPG on VCD Player

Morgan Kelsey morgan at morgankelsey.com
Tue Aug 12 10:41:37 CDT 2003

>>> "Saala" is like a swear word used
>>> between familiar people (kinda like
>>> when 2 brothers call each other
>>> niggaz...i dont think it has a direct
>>> english translation.
>>
>> isn't there a song for that?
>>
>> "chor saala, saala
>>  whatever will be, will be"
>
> Morgan. Out. Now.
> :-)

i went to music school at "the new school for social rejects" in manhatten.

the head of the jazz program at the time was reggie workman, who is a real
heavyweight in the jazz world. played with john coltrane, art blakey, etc
etc

for the audition, you had to go in and play some tunes with reggie on bass,
and some of their top students on other instruments. i left with stained
underpants, it was truly terrifying.

anyway, right before me was a girl from japan, who had a nice voice but was
lacking in other "americanisms" that are required to be a good jazz singer.

after she sang "autumn reaves", she went into "que sela sela".
man i wish i had a video of that.....i'll never forget the look on reggie's
face.

(no offence to our friends from the land of the rising sun, i'm sure an
american attempting japanese is equally side-splitting)

nagrom