[thechat] MPG on VCD Player

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Tue Aug 12 13:34:51 CDT 2003

Morgan Kelsey noted:

>>for the audition, you had to go in and play some tunes with reggie on bass,
>>and some of their top students on other instruments. i left with stained

That's a terrible feeling!! (Yeah, I've been intimidated by folks with a lot
less cred than that ... ) It's a real confidence 'spindle, fold & mutilate'!

>>anyway, right before me was a girl from japan, who had a nice voice but was
>>lacking in other "americanisms" that are required to be a good jazz singer.

Two things:

(1) I once saw (and yes I'm still a moron for not buying it instantly) an
import CD that had a cover showing a slender Japanese gal in a formal dress
leaning up against a black finish piano. It was playing in the store and
had 40's style 'torch songs' ... sung in Japanese.  I went back later to
get it and it was gone.  The owner of the store thought it might have
been someone called "Erie" Ono ... something like that?  Ring any bells
with anyone --- I'd still like to find that disc if I could.

(2) Ben had a blues tune from 'Cowboy Bebop' up on his site a few weeks
ago - nice tune ... all the lyrics _in_ Japanese.  Very nice. [The TV
show gives the English translation as subtitles ... it's the closing
theme for the show.]

RonL.