[thechat] MPG on VCD Player

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Tue Aug 12 17:17:50 CDT 2003

Ben Dyer wrote:
> On Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003, at 15:07 US/Central, William Anderson wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >
> > /me hugs his 5 CDs worth of Cowboy Bebop mp3s ... ;)
>
> 5 CDs??  I mean I know there's a lot of music...  Are they at 230 Kbps
> or something?  I have about four and half ripped CDs worth of Bebop
> music and they don't quite fill up 1 CD (but I encode at a low rate).
>
> Or do you have that all the music from that $100 music box set or
> something? :)

how did I know that Ben would pipe up at this point?  :)  Yes, box set,
baby - no way could I fill 5 CDs with *actual* mp3s from Bebop, I did of
course mean 5CDs ripped to mp3 :)

> > Watch most anime on TV and you'll find that with few exceptions, the
> > title
> > (and usually credits) music are subtitled - easier to throw some
> > captions
> > onto the screen than hire musicians to sing over a
> > probably-impossible-to-find clean version of the music ...
>
> In most DVDs (especially ones put out by Bandai, ADV and Pioneer), the
> episodes alternate between the English translation ("I only want to
> know what true sadness is") and the Japanese Romaji Karaoke version
> ("Honto no kanashimi ga shiritai dake").  For TV broadcast, they
> usually just pick the translated version and run it each time.

/me thinks of Monkey - they did that too :)

> Occasionally, companies will hire musicians to rework the opening and
> ending themes into English.  Pioneer did this for years (Tenchi Muyo!
> and El-Hazard) and FUNimation does this now (Blue Gender and Yu Yu
> Hakusho).

Yeah, it's nice when they cba spending the time/money to do it, but i
suspect there's deep resentment of such a process by true otaku :)

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________ "When Microsoft Office is your only hammer,
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \ pretty much everything begins to look like