[thechat] Tequila substitute

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Wed Aug 27 19:40:03 CDT 2003

Madhu wrote:
> Is there any other alcohol or mix of spirits that would make a reasonable
> substitute?

I'm with Alan here, alas. Can't really think of anything that would
substitute for tequila. Equal parts vodka and commercial degreasing
fluid, perhaps.

> While you're at it, what's your favourite cocktail? (If you drink
> cocktails, of course.)

Well.. this isn't going to be much help to you, but the aforementioned
Long Island Iced Tea is one of the best; another one, particularly
fantastic on a hot summer day, is the classic Tequila Sunrise.

Other great cocktails/mixed drinks include the Black Russian, the
Manhattan, and the Whiskey Sour.

I confess to a terrible weakness for 'girly' cocktails, which is a
source of much amusement to my friends. Favourites include the Fruit
Tingle (the otherwise-noxious Blue Curacao, raspberry cordial, Lemonade,
and Vodka for kick) and the Illusion (Midori, Vodka, Pineapple, dash
of Blue Curacao (for colour more than anything), Malibu, and
miscellaneous bar drip-tray runoff).

Really, you can see why they laugh at me. In my defense, I hardly
ever drink cocktails, usually sticking with beer or straight
spirits.

Another suggestion from a workmate: the Toblerone (Frangelico, Kahlua,
Baileys, milk, honey, chocolate shavings optional). These are
FANTASTIC (as is anything involving Frangelico).

Cheers,

Paul.