[thechat] Centrino 11b & 11g

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Mon Sep 1 14:12:00 CDT 2003

> But apparently that's how they work - you just open the laptop chassis
> (vendor dependent), remove the existing mini PCI card, and replace with an
> upgraded version.  I've yet to see it in practice, but I'm told that's
what
> happens.  Not quite ease of replacement as an airport card i think, but
close.

Yeah, I've seen this. What people are doing is breaking open 11g routers,
taking the cards out and putting them in their laptop. It is not, I have
been assured, for the faint of heart.
Actually what I meant was, you showed me a card stuck in the side of your
computer that was the Wi-Fi link, I was wondering if I put an 11g card into
a Centrino computer would it override the 11b chip? Can't seem to find
anything on Google, and I don't trust the guy in the shop trying to make me
part with my hard earned credit who says it will work.

Kevin Stevens
kjs at ratking.co.uk