[thechat] Mumbai bomb blasts

Heironymous Bosch jeromebosch at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 2 12:22:17 CDT 2003

| "Why do we kill people who are / killing people /
| to show / that killing people is wrong?"

To discourage the rest of us.

What else can we take away from you to underline the gravity
of the offence?

Society Model A:  if you kill, you will be put to death.

Society Model B:  if you kill, you will be housed in a secure facility,
your individual rights protected, even your person protected from the
other prisoners if that is necessary, and you will be released some
day, but in the meantime, you are free to contemplate life with no
concern for how you will pay the rent or buy your food, have access
to entertainment, education, health care, and so on.

Ask anybody:  In which society are people more likely to kill?

I'm not talking about normal people, normal people don't kill, but
somewhere amongst us are deviants, and even deviants understand the
death penalty.

I can tell you that if you kill someone near to me, I will wait until
you get out and I will kill you personally, mercifully (I am not a sadist),
but assuredly, and I will go to my grave knowing that I have not sinned,
and perhaps even done society a favor.

I am wondering what a poll on death penalty for terrorists would reveal
amongst family members of 9/11, or family members of Mumbai victims.

That is why we put killers to death.

To give clozure to the family, and to discourage the rest of us.

Jerome