[thechat] calling all winos...

Sean G. ethanol at mathlab.sunysb.edu
Tue Sep 2 23:29:40 CDT 2003

Howdy,

For the average joe, these are great times to drink wine.  Pretty much any 10
US$ bottle of wine will be a good drink.  And it just so happen there's a
current article in Forbes FYI on that very subject.
<http://www.forbes.com/fyi/2003/0915/037.html>

A few reds I recommend...Black Opal (australian), Luna di Luna (italy), Stag's
Leap (california), Fat Bastard (france), Ecco Domani (italy), Yellow Tail
(australian)...

The snobs will be snobs.  If that bothers you, either don't invite them, or
challenge them to a blind taste test.  If they can tell red from white without
looking or getting a hint from temperature, then you can move on to telling a
table wine from the 'good' stuff.

Anyway, if this interest is sparked by special event or dinner coming up, and
even if it isn't, look into your local wineries and vineyards.  Pretty much
every where in the US of A has some place close enough to be considered local.
Unless you're on the west coast, these are wines you can probably only get by
going to the winery shop.

So even if the wine isn't great (though it very well may be), it will be
something few of your guests have had before and a conversation piece.
Especially if you pick up a few tidbits on the history of wine making in your
area.

Besides the big spots along the west coast, I know of local wine in New Jersey,
Long Island, all over update New York, and Massachusetts.  So I'm sure there
are grapes near you.

Also, do not discount the advice from the guy in your local wine shop.  And for
9 or 10 bucks a bottle for a good every day drinking wine, you can try a few
different labels till you find your taste.

enjoy!

Sean G.

"No matter how much money Bruce [Springsteen] gives to charity, I still say
he's one of the tightest men I've ever known." - David Sedaris.