[thechat] No Roundabouts In Japan?

Plunkett, Matt MPlunkett at MSA.com
Wed Sep 10 15:18:10 CDT 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Luther, Ron
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 2:39 PM
To: The evolt.org social mailing list
Subject: RE: [thechat] No Roundabouts In Japan?

> The East Coast, (New Jersey especially), also has things called "jug
handles" -
> that's where you go to the right ... to make a left-hand turn. Dang - I
found
> lots of links, but no pix.  ;-(

Jug handles are for both left and U turns.  They sort out a lot of craziness
on roads with several lanes and/or medians.

I miss jug handles a lot.  They just make so much sense and make traffic
easy to deal with.  The neighborhood I live in in Pittsburgh has a huge
median down the main drag, but no jug handles to deal with U-turns.  Its
actually legal to make U-turns instead of left turns at regular lights,
which drives me crazy.