[thechat] No Roundabouts In Japan?

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Wed Sep 10 17:04:22 CDT 2003

>roundabout == traffic circle?

A roundabout is like a round intersection with no stop sign... you go
around and veer off.  They IMO are way way better than 4 way stops
(especially when driving stick).  But Americans tend to react to them
much as we react to the metric system... "oooh! it makes too much
sense!  I am not used to it!  I can't deal with it!"

Roundabouts have fewer accidents than 4-way stops, and when there are
accidents they are generally less severe (not like when someone
drives 50 mph straightaway thru a red light).

On the rare occasion an American city builds a roundabout, it usually
comes with a big educational campaign on how to use it.  And everyone
gets worried and confused.

traffic circles can be a lot of things... I don't think they are
quite the same but don't care enough to do a google search.