[thechat] Auf Wiedersehen, Leni

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Thu Sep 11 00:26:37 CDT 2003

Terry Fowler wrote:
> Considering the Leni Riefenstahl was a significant
> figure in pre-WWII Germany I was rather surprised to
> hear that she died yesterday; I had no idea she was
> still alive.

I knew she was still alive and was very sad to see her go.  I'm still
not sure how I feel about the political/social aspects of her work, but
I know she was a hell of an artist and a fascinating person.  I would
have loved to have met her.  For anyone who hasn't seen it, you should
watch a documentary about her called "The Wonderful, Horrible Life of
Leni Riefenstahl".  She was incredibly important in the development of
modern cinema (not to mention the field of propaganda) and she
challenges all the notions of attachment between artist and subject
matter.  Definitely worth an investigation for artistic, social, and
historic reasons.

Judah