[thechat] email chess

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Thu Sep 11 22:33:16 CDT 2003

At 04:52 AM 12-09-03, Luther, Ron wrote:
>The better player will
>see more possibilities with the piece than you will - so trading even
>actually improves your odds. And a stronger player will see more potential
>combinations with many pieces on the board - so removing pieces puts more
>'restrictions' on your opponent than on you.

But Ron, isn't that logic flawed? The stronger player sees more
possibilities, but at the end of the trade, you're *still* weaker because
you *still* see fewer scenarios. Your tip would work only if I could
somehow get into a stronger position by way of merely trading.

In other words, he can still do more with his fewer pieces than you can do
with yours.

Regards,

Madhu