[thechat] email chess

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Fri Sep 12 08:02:21 CDT 2003

Madhu Menon asked:

>>But Ron, isn't that logic flawed? The stronger player sees more
>>possibilities, but at the end of the trade, you're *still* weaker because
>>you *still* see fewer scenarios. Your tip would work only if I could
>>somehow get into a stronger position by way of merely trading.

Hi Madhu!

Ah - but you 'strengthen' your position by reducing the gap.  You may
still be a weaker player ... but instead of being in a position where
you are, lets say, 1000 'oolongs' weaker [to make up an arbitrary unit]
before the trade ... maybe after the trade you're in a position where
you are only 700 'oolongs' weaker.  You've reduced the gap and improved
your odds!

<Ron rapidly considers several dozen analogies before thinking of this one />

Suppose I challenged you to a gourmet cook-off?  Mano-a-mano.  Just you,
me and the peanut sauce Monkey-boy! <Uh ... don't go there ... okay? />

If we're in a fully stocked and equipped gourmet kitchen ... I think we
both know you'd clean my clock pretty thoroughly.

But suppose I sucker you into trading?

I take away your fancy cooking knives ... you take away my spices.
I take away your crepe pan ... you take away my blender.
... and so it goes ...

If I could get the kitchen all the way down to a few slices of processed
American cheese, a loaf of bread, and a toaster over ... hey, you could
still probably whip up something better tasting than I could ...  but I've
reduced the gap and given myself a fighting chance because eliminating
that 'fancy' stuff cut far more into your creativity and potential than
it did into mine.

Capische?

RonL.
(Stop being a 'weenie' ... sign up and take your beating like an egg!)

;-)