[thechat] Not webdev related** Dell w/winME startup problems

Jorah Lavin madstone at madstone.net
Sun Sep 28 07:12:35 CDT 2003

At 04:04 09/28/03 +0100, William Anderson wrote:L

>Solutions to both - blitz it and install either Windows 2000 Professional
>or $flavour Linux

I don't have the budget for either a Win2k* or WinXP upgrade (in the middle
of buying a house... gotta keep some priority straight) so that is out for
how. I'd consider moving to Linux. Until recently I couldn't have planned
to do that, since I'm going to school online and the only browser that
works with their online school system is Win IE 5.5+ (!!!!), but recently
I've been given a tablet computer to bring home from work, so I could do my
schoolwork on that and use my home machine for what I want. Trouble is,
I'll need a modem for the Linux machine, and for all I know, that might be
as expensive as getting a Windows upgrade. Last time I checked, the
internal modem on the Dell only works with Windows because it is mostly a
software modem, not hardware, so I'd need an external.

Still, I'll check around. I may be able to find a usable external for not
too much.

Thanks for the thought-provoking notes, folks.

-Jorah

*my Windows 2000 machine crashes pretty often at work, but some of those
crashes have finally gone away, now that I got an upgrade from Photoshop