[thechat] Pronounce URL

Sean G. ethanol at mathlab.sunysb.edu
Sun Oct 5 22:24:05 CDT 2003

Howdy,

To quote the popular saying, OMG WTF LOL.

My boss is an 'earl' man.  He was in Texas, before that Massachusetts, so I'm
not sure where he picked up.  But everyone else I've ever heard did the ole
you-are-ell.  At least I now know he is not alone.

I would guess it is a southern thing, although it could also be from the Great
Plains, since it annoys me in the same irrational yet violence-inducing way as
"I'm going to Prom," when it should be "I'm going to the prom."

New England does seem to be jiff country, although I've met a few giff folks.
I just let that one slide, as I do with the pronunciation of Gigabyte.

Y'all is one thing I picked up from my own stint in the lonestar state.  It's
very handy for situations where I need a distinctly plural second-person
pronoun.  "Y'all need to put out them smokes before getting out the ether."

HTH?

-Sean G.

"I'd like to bury my face in two dozen 'Krispy Kreme' glazed donuts & just
lie there & think about Hello Kitty!"--Zippy