[thechat] Pronounce URL

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Mon Oct 6 10:05:15 CDT 2003

Jorah Lavin wrote:

> He introduced the term "URL," then remarks that it is pronounced "earl."

The old 'Web Developer' magazine had a regular interview feature
called "Dukes of URL"; I don't know when it started, my interview
was in the Spring 1996 edition.

But no, almost no one (thankfully) pronounces it that way.

And it's still not as bad as the way some IBMers used to pronounce
SNA (ess-en-aa, thanks) as 'sna' as in baa-baa-black-sheep; what an
utterly ugly sound.

People with no ear for language shouldn't be allowed to talk :-)

Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.