[thechat] CAN-SPAM Act: the registry

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Sat Nov 22 22:46:40 CST 2003

I'm not so sure a do-not-spam registry would do any good, and would
perhaps increase spam. To me, it seems that any list of email addresses
is of value to the spam industry, which is worldwide and not subject to
US laws. How could it possibly be kept out of the hands of spammers
that don't live in the US?

SEC. 109.  DO-NOT-E-MAIL REGISTRY.

(a) IN GENERAL- Not later than 6 months after the date of enactment of
this title, the Commission shall transmit to the Senate Committee on
Commerce, Science, and Transportation and the House of Representatives
Committee on Energy and Commerce a report that--

(1) sets forth a plan and timetable for establishing a nationwide
marketing Do-Not-E-mail registry;

(2) includes an explanation of any practical, technical, security,
privacy, enforceability, or other concerns that the Commission has
regarding such a registry; and

(3) includes an explanation of how the registry would be applied with
respect to children with e-mail accounts.

(b) AUTHORIZATION TO IMPLEMENT- The Commission may establish and
implement the plan, but not earlier than 9 months after the date of
enactment of this title.