[thechat] Restaurant update

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Wed Nov 26 21:03:48 CST 2003

Yello!

Email time is so scarce these days (it's 0045 hours here) that I haven't
had time to communicate the status of my restaurant.

It was originally slated to open last month, but I just happened to hire
one of the most incompetent architectural firms in the city. Their
inability to manage the project properly or give me believable deadlines
delayed the project by more than 1.5 months.

Oh well, enough ranting about that. So I'm nearly done with the interiors.
Some light fittings need to be fixed, some furniture woodwork needs some
polishing, and one more coat of paint goes in - about 5 days of work. You
want pictures? Let everything get fixed first.

On the comforting side, the food is coming out great. Initially, I had a
few problems teaching my chefs the nuances and the trifles that turn good
food into great food (e.g. "Pull the bloody prawns out after 30 seconds,
DAMMIT!!!"), but they're slowly coming around. For the last ten days or so,
we've been having menu trials at the restaurant, inviting 4-6 people every
day to taste a set menu and give us their comments. So far, the feedback
has been wonderful, and many people have told me that if I'd just get the
damned place open, they'd be there the next day.

My chefs were also appalled that I wasn't using any MSG, but after tasting
the food, they've changed their minds. I think I've earned some respect.

If anyone wants a copy of my menu in Word or Excel format, mail me. I spent
several days writing the copy for it, so it sells the food well... I hope.

So... since it's best to open on a weekend, Shiok Far-eastern cuisine is
tentatively scheduled to go live on 05 December 2003 - next Friday. Let's
keep our fingers crossed, eh?

Regards,

Madhu