[thechat] Perpetual motion (was Re: Hulk, bulk, sulk)

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Sun Nov 30 11:32:49 CST 2003

> i also have a video of my brother trying to determine
> how much height a cat needs to actually land on his feet.
> there's a yardstick against the wall, and ted (my brother),
> repeatedly picks up a cat, flips cat over, announces the height and drops
the
> cat.
> then dad (the filmer) says, "ok, now try him 6 inches higher"

This reminds me of a topic that turns up in New Scientist every now and
again. The theory goes something like this: A cat always lands on it's feet,
and a dropped slice of toast always lands butter side down. Therefore, if
you secure a piece of toast (butter side up) to the back of a cat, and then
drop the cat, it will spin indefinitely and create a perpetual motion
engine.

Kevin Stevens
(Who is not clever enough to have made this up, but kind of wishes he was)
kjs at ratking.co.uk