Thailand (was Re: [thechat] "Eight Miles High" (was Re: Gotta new Mac - now what?))

noah noah at tookish.net
Tue Dec 9 02:57:04 CST 2003

At 06:30 PM 08/12/2003, Erik Mattheis wrote:
>On Monday, December 8, 2003, at 09:46  AM, Morgan Kelsey wrote:
>>but i think Thailand and Cambodia
>>are the only communist countries in that list....
>
>I don't know the history of Thailand, but is currently a monarchy, as
>those who remember this news item will recall:
>http://citypaper.net/articles/2002-06-27/pretzel.shtml

Thailand has never been communist.

I hadn't seen that news item before, but it doesn't surprise me. In Thai
culture, it is considered very bad manners to show disrespect toward
anyone, particularly toward your elders or superiors. Since there's no one
superior to the king, to disrespect him is just about the worst thing you
can possibly do.

Cheers,
Noah