[thechat] unsubbing / mpls recap

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Tue Dec 9 19:42:09 CST 2003

On Tuesday, December 9, 2003, at 11:00  AM, Erika Meyer wrote:
> And, hey  Minneapolians, what is that building downtown with the lava
> lamp on top?

Do you mean the US Bank building?
http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/2706 - here it is from a wider
angle: http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/1879

Or do you mean the squat one that looks like a blue stalk of celery?
That's the AT&T building - one of my favorites.
http://www.skyscraperpage.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2941

I love Minneapolis - sometimes I go downtown just to walk around ...
here's another one of my favorite buildings:
http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/2072 - actually they're all my
favorites except for the IDS building, which is unfortunately the most
prominent, and the Pillsbury building, which is really huge, but so
boring you literally don't notice it's there.

Almost every building downtown is connected by 26 miles of skyway:
http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/2443 - You can walk all over
downtown without going outside!

The United Methodist Church is great - it's impossible to get familiar
enough with it so you don't notice the incredible spire:
http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/1706 ... this is halfway between
where I live and the heart of downtown ... about a mile away.

The Mariott is another building that always seems new to the eye: it's
oddly angled and it's hard to tell what way it's facing or what happens
at the corners: (blue glass building on left)
http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/2267

The Weissman looks like something from another planet -
http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/1761 - you can't tell from that
photo, but it's perched atop the Mississippi river - it looks like a
robotic growth coming out of the ledge.

There are parks, lakes and bike paths all over - here is the sculpture
garden, just south of downtown:
http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/1682

Check out this inside photo of City Hall
http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/1610 - the inside of the main
post office is amazing as well. The county government center is also
wild: http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/2068 - 1/2 of it is an
atrium! (we're fond of atriums here - here is the larget one downtown:
Crystal Court: http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/1137 ) Government
buildings seem to be wacky by rule in Minneapolis - here's the old
Federal Reserve building, which has been closed because of an asbestos
problem: http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/121 - it moved across
the street into a new building, can't frind a picture, but it's also
really interesting. Here's the Federal building downtown - I wonder
who's idea it was to put those mounds there, and how they're kept from
crumbling: http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/1578